Mitsubishi Electric Corporation announced today that it has developed a next-generation power module called X-Series New Dual HVIGBT module for traction and electric power applications in heavy industries. The new module features higher power density and efficiency for inverters, as well as a standardized package that allows for a flexible design of inverter systems.
Samples of the 3.3kV (LV100) version of the New Dual module will be available for shipping from March 2017. That will be followed by 1.7kV, 3.3kV (HV100), 4.5kV and 6.5kV versions in that order from 2018 onwards. The company also plans to add a lower-than 1.7kV version to the lineup in the future.
High-power modules are key devices for controlling power conversion in electronic systems in a wide range of power classes from several kilowatts up to several megawatts. Until now, modules with a maximum voltage rating of up to 6.5kV and a maximum current rating of several thousand amperes have been commercially available.
The New Dual HVIGBT module will satisfy demand for efficient, high power density semiconductor devices with a range of current and voltage ratings, while contributing to higher power output and efficiency in inverters by adopting the latest seventh-generation IGBTs and RFC diodes. Meanwhile, the standardized package dimensions will allow manufacturers of industrial electronics to simplify design and secure multiple sources for inverters.
Product Lineup (plan)
|2018 or later|
|HV100||10kV||3.3kV||450A||2018 or later|
- Contributing to high energy efficiency and high power density
- The seventh-generation IGBTs adopting CSTBTTM and RFC diodes realize low power loss in inverter systems.
- Improved package technology and low parasitic inductance enable maximum performance.
- Three AC main terminals on the LV100 package spread and equalize current density, contributing to increased inverter capability.
- Common frame size supports more diverse inverter configurations and capacity
- LV100 and HV100 modules have a common package design.
- Simple, standard connections allow for optimal system design and a range of current ratings.
- Lineup ranges from 1.7 to 6.5kV.
- Improved flexibility and scalability for system configuration.
- Contributing to higher design efficiency by the use of a standardized new package
- Compatible with terminal and attachment locations of Infineon Technologies AG (Germany) products.